Saturday, July 21, 2007

robots in disguise

Well call me a geek but if you haven’t seen Transformers, and you were a fan of the original cartoon and action figures, I highly recommend it. I realize that, for my American friends, this is old news but it isn’t even out in the UK yet, I just happened to get in on this weekend’s preview. Unbelievable! Ten minutes in and I already felt like I had gotten my money’s worth. Now, granted, you’ve seen one shoot ‘em up action film, you seen them all. And, as somebody who believes that every battle scene has already been shot (seriously, when’s the last time you saw a battle scene that was truly original and that inspired you?), I confess to being a little bored over the last half of the film. Still, as somebody who loved the cartoon and spent all of his allowance money on the action figures, it was like going to my first concert to watch that first Transformer transform from a helicopter into a robot. Probably the best and most shocking special effects I’ve seen since Terminator 2 and I can count, on one hand, the number of films I’ve ever noticed the sound affects in before (late Star Wars films, Private Ryan…I’d have to think about the rest), but this was one of them. Amazing!

Comments on "robots in disguise"

 

Blogger Sean said ... (12:12 AM) : 

Yeah, transformers rocked pretty hard. I had to get over a lack of newness in the 'plotishness', which is the word I made up for making a plot around a childrens cartoon that makes a story that is interesting to an adult. Not that many movies have done this, I think I was spoiled by Batman Begins, that being said...

Once I fell into the nostalgia of having my beloved optimus prime on the big screen with the same voice I remember from the cartoon, I was good to go. I was then able to see more of the humor involved.

All said and done, as far as that sort of movie goes, it gets a 9.5.

Really sweet visually, so much so that you do not even notice that there is minimal musical soundtrack. Awesome


Wait until you see die hard four.

 

post a comment