Tuesday, July 03, 2007

controlled explosions (there's a joke in there somewhere)

Today I lost a book and I’m bummed about it.

I was trying to get across town (waaaaaaay across town) for a meeting when the conductor came on over the speaker and informed us that there were major delays due to suspicious instances in several other stations (I would later find out that police had conducted a controlled explosion of several fire extinguishers outside a station…???) So, upon finally reaching the next station, I surfaced from the metal tube of stink and began trying to find a bus that could take me to my destination. Now, anybody who’s ever tried to use the bus system in a city knows that, unless you’re familiar with the route, or are near a computer, using the bus system is nearly out of the question. So, after a phone call, questioning several other local pedestrians, and sacrificing a small pigeon to the god of directions, I finally gave up and hopped in a cab. And that, evidently, is when it happened. I lost my book.

Now normally a book loss wouldn’t kill me. I buy books all of the time and was about to purchase several copies of this particular book to pass out to a few friends anyway. Ordering an extra one for myself wouldn’t (and won’t) be that big of a deal. Problem is, I had about twenty pages worth of highlighter in this particular book. Future sermons and, no doubt, blog posts just waiting to be created! And I lost it! And I’m absolutely bummed!

In other news, I was at our youth club yesterday, overseeing the computer suite, when one of our young people (who’s name is Osama, incidentally) made me wonder how it is that young people ever make it through their adolescent years. As often happens, the kids were listening to music and watching videos over the internet. This is always a struggle for me as the kids listen and I sit in the corner shouting near obscenities and trying to explain how, in my day, music was real! This always helps to add about twenty years to my already growing age. Anyway, the music is pumping when suddenly a song comes on that is apparently called “I’m In Love With a Stripper”. Forgive me, I was out of the loop. So, I listen to the lyrics for a minute, and then tell our corner DJ to move on to the next song. As always, this brings a mass of debates. “Why?” they ask, at which point one of our girls says “Because it’s offensive”, to which I agree. So, after some debate, our DJ finally moves on to the next song. About half an hour later, however, the song is being played again. I turn, look at the kid and say, “Didn’t we already have a conversation about that song?” to which he replies, “But sir, this is the remix!”

I just stare at him blankly when luckily, one of his mates starts laughing at the absurdity of his argument.

Remix indeed.

Comments on "controlled explosions (there's a joke in there somewhere)"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (12:45 AM) : 

that is awesome. i miss club.

 

Blogger Trent said ... (6:29 AM) : 

So...what book was it?

 

Blogger Tim said ... (11:51 AM) : 

The Church On The Other Side by Brian McLauren.

 

Blogger Trent said ... (3:20 PM) : 

At some moment when you get the chance read the introduction to John MacArthur's "Truth Wars." I would love to hear what you think.

 

Blogger Larry said ... (10:52 PM) : 

remix...same old song in a different form. sounds sort of like something i know well.

wish i was at your club that night.

be strong..and if you read the intro to the MacArthur book, pray hard afterwards.

 

Blogger Trent said ... (4:32 AM) : 

I agree that the intro to the book is hard to swallow. I am still thinking about it. The tone seemed a bit overboard to me. I am deciding if I will read the rest of it or not.

 

post a comment