Thursday, July 28, 2005

violent crime number 5

Last night, the fifth violent crime that I’ve witnessed in front of my house in the past year and half, took place. Ask me if it’s getting old. As me if I’m happy about gun laws. Ask me if I’m feeling like Jonah. Ask me if I lie awake at night, thinking about what I’d like to do to these guys, rather than how much Jesus loves them. Ask me if I’m, in any way, feeling like a relevant missionary or a protective husband/soon to be father. Ask me how impressed I am with the British 999 (911) system. Ask me how much I’d be willing to pay for a canister of mace or pepper spray (and that’s being kind). Ask me if I can see them through God’s eyes? Ask me if I love them. Ask me if I have any idea what to do. I don’t.

It’s easy to get on here and chat about theology. Living it is an entirely different matter. I’ve been studying the prophets lately. Specifically studying the prophets whose messages related to mission and social action (quite a few if not, arguably, all of them). I truly am feeling like Jonah right now. The Ninevites were a violent people known for the brutal torture and murder of their enemies. Jonah felt no mercy for these people and saw no reason why they deserved God’s love and grace. He didn’t want to offer it to them and, for all I know, feared for his life in going at all. I’m feeling a lot like Jonah right now.

I would appreciate it if anybody would point out any proverbial large fish or boats nearby.

Comments on "violent crime number 5"

 

Blogger blogblogblog said ... (6:47 PM) : 

That's the great thing, there isn't any need for a large boat or a fish, because you went where God directed you to go. You're a lot more like Abraham than Jonah, from where I sit. You've left your homeland. You've trusted God and now you're going to be the father of nations. Ok, maybe not the last part, but you get the idea.

Sorry to be flippant when this is not really a joking matter. This is so easy for me to say miles away in my safe office, knowing I'll go home to a house where most of the time, we leave the key in the door. But...I'll say it anyway. What you and Jamie have (albeit terrifying) is a tremendous opportunity to stand out and be different for Christ. Sometimes, when I drive around my neighborhood, wearing a similar shirt to all my neighbors, driving a similar car with a similar haircut, I feel like "how do I stick out for God in this environment?" You guys have options aplenty, opportunities galore to live in such a way...

"9But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God's instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you-- 10from nothing to something, from rejected to accepted. 11Friends, this world is not your home, so don't make yourselves cozy in it. Don't indulge your ego at the expense of your soul. 12Live an exemplary life among the natives so that your actions will refute their prejudices. Then they'll be won over to God's side and be there to join in the celebration when he arrives." 1 Peter 2:9-12(MSG)

You guys are doing what so many of us are talking about.

Praying for you guys.

 

post a comment