Thursday, March 23, 2006

chris farley's dead

I’m learning to drive this weekend. Learning to drive in the UK, that is. A couple of our friends, who go to our Corps and live in our neighbourhood, are about to have their first baby. In fact, they’re about two weeks away. Rich (the guy…obviously) drove us to the hospital when Jamie went into labour. Then he drove us home when it wasn’t time. Then he drove us back when we were sure it was time. Then he drove us home when the doctors were sure it wasn’t. And this went on and on for a while, well into the night. So now he’s decided that, to get revenge, I should be on call for he and his wife. Problem is, the joke’s on him as it’s his car and his insurance that’s sure to take a hit when I drive it into a bridge impumpment (props to anybody who knows what movie that word was used in…and props to anybody who knows how to spell it too). So this weekend we dance. If you live anywhere near the Sainsbury’s car park on Green Lanes, you might want to steer clear of it after 7:00 p.m. this weekend. I’m going to try and shoot some video. So you all will have that to look forward to.

I’ve added a new section to my right hand column called Get Involved. I hope to feature sites with great ideas on getting involved in mission and social action. The first one I’ve listed is actually a site featuring Jewish congregations, but it’s ideas are absolutely appropriate for Christians as well. I hope you’ll check it out.

I also added a new link to my Favorite Blogs. It’s called Streetwar and it features articles on frontline ministry taking place all over the world. Unfortunately it’s just for Salvationists. Sorry folks, the Army is a little inbred and we’d really rather just keep to ourselves. Still, it’s a great idea for a site, even if it is a bit limited.

I’m also working on a new blog idea and it’s nearing completion. The blog will feature ideas on practical ways you, your friends and your church can get involved in mission and social action projects. One of the things that’s been weighing on my a lot over the past year, is that, even if you wanted to get involved, it’s sometimes very hard to figure out how to do it. So I’m working on a blog just for ideas. I hope that it will end up being a great tool for Christians who are looking to make a difference. And, if everything goes well, it won’t just feature my ideas but, hopefully, your ideas as well. Look for it in the coming weeks.

I’m watching Dead Man Walking right now. This is the film that first made me step back and re-evaluate my stance on the death penalty. Both Phil and Larry might be surprised to know that I still don’t have a hard stance either way. I’m still unsure and can easily argue (backed up by scripture) for either side. What I do know is that I don’t take it as lightly as I used to. What I also know is that I could not condemn a man to death. Anyway, it’s a great film and I highly recommend it.

I was thinking yesterday that the problem with great films (like Dead Man Walking) is that the people who most need to see it, are usually the ones who wouldn’t dare go see it. They’re minds are waaaay to closed for that. I thought of this in relation to two amazing films that came out this year. Syriana and Lord of War. Lord of War doesn’t fit this category too much because it appears to be more of an action film and I have a feeling that quite a few unprepared victims were tricked into seeing this one. But Syriana was a little too obvious and I have a feeling that, those who needed to see it most, probably weren’t seen within a hundred feet of the entrance to the film. So let me build it up a bit and attempt to trick you into seeing it. It won an Oscar and features George Clooney! Woohoo! Seriously though, both of these are important films and I would highly encourage you to go see them. Holy cow. I just realized that Jack Black is in Dead Man Walking. Wow. Missed that one! He’s got a bit role playing the brother of the guy on death role. He only appears in one scene, but he did get a couple of lines. Wow. Jack Black. Anyway.

Ok, one last bit of trivia. I found out this week that Chris Farley was originally slated to play the character of Shrek but died before he could make it. Sigh. I wish Chris Farley hadn’t died.

Comments on "chris farley's dead"

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (2:28 AM) : 

is that your baby in the movie? if so she is beautiful. jack black bothers me. i wonder what shrek would have been if chris farley hadn't died. hmmm.

 

Blogger Sean said ... (3:31 AM) : 

um Jack Black? I don't like sarah jessica parker anyways. The word is embankment. I applaud the effort. and would have loved to see chris farley put out a tommy boy two. Have fun driving.

 

Blogger Phil said ... (4:19 AM) : 

there is a tommy boy 2 - it's caled black sheep. :) not as funny as Tommy Boy, but still good.

It's sad that Chris Farley died so young. Would definitely have loved to meet him.

 

Blogger Naomi said ... (1:41 AM) : 

"I also added a new link to my Favorite Blogs. It’s called Streetwar and it features articles on frontline ministry taking place all over the world. Unfortunately it’s just for Salvationists. Sorry folks, the Army is a little inbred and we’d really rather just keep to ourselves. Still, it’s a great idea for a site, even if it is a bit limited."

Why, you little... :-)

Seriously, I did find your way of saying this a little painful. I deliberately gave StreetWar a narrow focus because I just don't have time to do the work necessary for anything else. Interdenominational stuff is great, but it requires a lot more effort, a lot more admin, and a lot more comment moderation.

(PS. I'm not inbred!)

 

post a comment