Saturday, November 11, 2006

very random thoughts...

A friend once said to me that accountability is when we remind a friend of their own goals, but judgement is when we sentence that person when they don’t reach them.

Even as the world is accusing us all of being hypocrites, they’re also watching as we all sentence Ted Haggard to hell. We talk of grace and forgiveness and guess what? Here’s our chance. Thank GOD CNN hasn’t figured out my private sins and posted them for all the world to see. Leaders will be held to a higher standard, no doubt, but we’ve still got to be there to help them up when they fall. Haggard has confessed his sins and also his addiction. Now is the time to forgive and support. And, on a side note, let this be one more lesson in why we shouldn’t put people on a pedestal. Grace and forgiveness.



I don’t normally take jabs at my liberal friends on here. I think there are enough Christians doing that and, in the end, I agree with some so-called “liberal” takes on politics, and religion, and life in general. For the record, I like to think of those takes as “Christ like”, but whatever. The following has been on my mind this week.

Does anybody else find it mind blowing that the same people who find no worth in an unborn child are often the same people who are against the death penalty because “we might have gotten it wrong”. Hhmm. Again, I think liberals are just as mind numbingly closed minded as conservatives. Maybe the death penalty AND abortion are wrong? Just maybe.



On the topic of “liberals”, something else came up this week. At the risk of starting some sort of a prayer chain on my behalf, I actually have no problem with the theory that God might have, and might still be using evolution to shape and mould His creation. I have no problem with that and it doesn’t shake my faith in the slightest. In fact, I think there are some good arguments and evidence for it. But, for those who believe in straight up evolution with no outside influence whatsoever, I think it’s safe to say that they believe in the most unlikeliest of scenarios that recorded history has ever known. They believe against the greatest odds in all of humanity. In fact, they’re rolling the dice on what odds makers would define as “completely impossible”. So, with that in mind, I find it fascinating that many of these same people believe in the possibility of life on other planets. Don’t get me wrong, I believe in that “possibility” as well, but then, I don’t believe that the most impossible of accidents occurred, ultimately bringing about the universe and life itself. Imagine thinking that yeah, it not only happened once, but multiple times. Wow.



Madonna. Take note of this one, because it’s not very often that I stand up in support of her.

I can’t get my mind around how anybody can condemn the woman for adopting a baby. ??? True, she could do more than just adopting one baby. And my understanding is that she is. In fact, my understanding is that she was in Africa funding and helping to set up an orphanage and, while there, met this little baby who tugged at her heart strings. This isn’t the first time this has happened. In fact, I have two friends who went on “mission trips” to Africa and had their heart strings tugged on by a local child. One of those friends adopted the child and brought him back to the U.S., and the other friend, upon being denied the opportunity to adopt, quit his job and began the task of building AIDS orphanages in Africa. In my mind this may be the most human thing Madonna has ever done.

And as far as her “jumping on the bandwagon”, better late than never, right? I mean, what would we have to say about her if, this late in her career, and with the amount of money she has made, if she didn’t get involved in some sort of charitable work or philanthropy? While I recognize that social action has become very sheik and has, therefore, led many people to pretend they’re involved by wearing white bracelets, I also recognize that many celebrities are sincerely being challenged to make their lives matter. And I couldn’t be more thrilled about that. And we have Bono and Angelina Jolie (the woman I’m seeing on the side) to thank for that!



And finally, I noticed in the news this morning, that Senator Lincoln Chafee has decided that he will join Democrats in blocking the nomination of John Bolton as Ambassador to the U.N. This one stands out to me because, upon nomination by the President earlier this year, several of Bolton’s subordinates testified that Bolton had a reputation of bullying his colleagues. And I’m always happy to see one more bully bite the dust.

Staying on topic, I’m still keeping up with the Chick Yuel situation. For those Salvationists who aren’t, welcome to the fish farm. And on that note, a friend said something to me this week that I’ll leave with you; “Discontent is rooted in the hope that things can be better.”

I’m hoping that things can be better.

Incidentally, can anybody explain the above picture???

Comments on "very random thoughts..."

 

Blogger lucy ar said ... (2:46 AM) : 

That is a nice quote from your mate about discontent. I am glad you are still keeping up with Chick Yuill stuff. Its not going away.

Hmm. The picture.... At first glance I thought it was something from the Simpsons. It does look a bit like that doesn't it.
Maybe it is... a frame from the episode "Homer joins the secret society of Patriotic Salvatonists".

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (3:10 PM) : 

Hi, i came acros you're blog and just thought i'd share my take on the whole madonna situation. i dont have a problem with madonna adopting a baby- or anyone for that fact but my problem is this. in some cases this is just sweeping the real problem under the carpet. there are 12million children orphaned in africa every year because of drought, famine, AIDS, diseases that could easily be cured. orphaned children are a consequence of a poison already in the system. there is not enough people to keep adopting children as a solution to this problem. until something is done to help the root cause men and women will still die, chilren will still be orphaned and they will all still die way too young.

 

Blogger My2BoysNMe said ... (12:05 AM) : 

Fruit roll ups - the picture - looks like the new international campaign for fruit roll ups. Yeah, that's about as deep as I get sometimes....

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (4:29 PM) : 

The picture is, in fact, that of an elite sect of Salvationists that sprang up around the mid 1930's. Their beliefs and goals being similar to original Salvation Army doctrine, the sect known as The Brotherhood of the Almighty American Salvationist began its work in Carthage, Illinois. The group was founded by a disillusioned Salvation Army Officer named Joseph Mallond. After being transfered to the inner city, Mallond left the Army to create "A better organization for the social good..."
Toning down the die hard spiritual emphasis displayed by That Salvation Army at the time, Mallond's "Salvationists" saw doors open to them like never before. The Government backed everything they did. People responded to their need to raise money and Mallond was able to run his organization smoothly with no "spiritual interruptions" as he eloquently put it. Eventually the Brotherhood became so successful that an decision was made by The Salvation Army to assimilate the group back into its ranks and adopt their outline for ministry. Mallond was happy and The Salvation Army is the organization you see before you today. There are still remnants of the Brotherhood visible today in the Army. The picture is one of only a few. The picture denotes the modified flag made by the Brotherhood.

 

Blogger Tim said ... (4:37 PM) : 

Wow. Thanks for that. I actually found this stained glass window in a Corps here in England.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:53 PM) : 

Tim,
I was just kidding about the Brotherhood business. I thought it was over the top so it would be obvious it was false, but my wife told me otherwise. So to clear things up I was just being a jackass (am I allowed to say that?)

 

Blogger Tim said ... (6:00 PM) : 

Lol! I'll tell you why I actually believed it. There actually is another charity in the U.S. that was started by one of Booth's disillusioned sons. He was sent to the States as a TC and then refused to come back to England when William Booth demanded that he do so. The charity actually still exists. In fact, the Salvation Army in the States sets up kettles every Christmas season in front of stores. They stand out there and ring bells and raise funds for the coming year. However, if you happen to see somebody standing out front, without the red shield and (often) in a Santa Suit, that’s actually the “other” charity. I can’t actually remember the name of these guys right now, but I’m sure that somebody else will remind us.

Btw, I’m not kidding. The above is true.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:10 PM) : 

I believe that you may be referring to the Christian Rescue Workers. Maybe not, but they also are a group founded by dissenting Salvationists.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (7:14 PM) : 

One correction... the group is the American Rescue Workers as opposed to Christian Rescue Workers.

 

Blogger Larry said ... (2:48 PM) : 

As to the abortion vs. death penalty issue, I just happen to believe life is sacred no matter when.

The organization you are speaking of with the Santas is "The Volunteers of America." The group was founded by Maude and Ballington Booth, who had become so committed to their ministry in the States and had such a public following that some would say they were more powerful than Ballington's dad, William. Interesting that you would mention this split in comments after talking about Chick and Margaret Yuill in the post.

 

Blogger Cari said ... (4:26 PM) : 

I wrote you yesterday. It was profound then my computer crashed. I'm not feeling profound today, so:
God can work even thru Madonna.

The picture is some guy's grandma's quilt she made in some ill-conceived inspirational moment, and when she died they memorialized it in stained glass, because she was quietly rich and tithed faithfully. And she's Baptist.

Here in the states, when someone is killed (usually a gang thing) their name turns up on someone's auto on the back window with their dates, and "In loving memory" or something. I want to be memorialized on someone's car...no. Random thought of my own.

Crazy-I thought all red kettle bell ringers were Salvation Army. I will read closer this year. Incidentally, some of the institutions only allow them there if they don't ring the bells. I like the bells. Great childhood memories, signalling the beginning of holiday season and the 24 hour "It's a Wonderful Life" marathon.

Feeling way nostalgic today. Miss you guys and wish you were here. God bless you this Thanksgiving and Christmas. Happy everything!

 

post a comment