Saturday, July 15, 2006

observations

First of all, I’ve spent the last couple of weeks getting ready for a camp I’m doing in Holland at the end of the month, along with my regular work duties, so thoughts have come at a premium lately. All of my brain power has gone towards writing literature and preparing sermons. I’m spent. My brain is on meltdown.

Having said that, the following are a few random observations from the week.

I observed two women discussing the topic of the late Princess Diana. One was an elderly woman (we’ll call her Ethel) purchasing groceries, and the other was an old cockney woman (we’ll call her…Kate) who was working the cash register. Ethel says, “They (taking about the media) just won’t leave her alone will they?” Kate says, “No they won’t!”, all while Ethel pays for her tabloid with Princes Diana on the cover. Do I need to point anything out here?

Did somebody send the PLO (Palestinian Liberation Organization) my contact details? I’ve been getting a lot of emails from them lately, inviting me to rally’s here in London.

Olyvia figured out how to crawl last weekend and she’s absolutely out of control. At what point do “physical restraints” become child abuse?

Superman is not a good movie. The story line is weak and the outfit just looks cheesy. Didn’t they learn anything from the Batman movies? You take some plastic, you mold it into an impossibly muscular body, and you make the actor wear it. He’s a super hero. He’s supposed to look ripped! Btw, and once again, my all middle-east neighbourhood (and booming Polish section) looked at another white/American blockbuster and yawned. The film was showing in the smallest theatre and I had plenty of room.

In other movie news, there are finally trailers and a release date for Rocky 6. That’s right! They’ve been talking about it for years and now it’s finally on its way. And I’ll be there. And I don’t care what anybody says either. Its Rocky. ROCKY! I’d go and see Rocky 20 if Stalone could get somebody to fund it! And that goes for Indiana Jones 4 too!

Jay Z has decided to boycott Cristal, the massively overpriced Champaign, because Cristal’s president has suggested that the company might not be that excited about being associated with the rap community. Jay Z has decided, not only to stop rapping about Cristal, but also to stop serving it in his clubs/restaurants because the company is racist. You know what, the president of Cristal might in fact be racist, but something tells me that rap’s major themes (violence, drugs, and the abuse of women) might play a role as well. But, if Cristal ever decides to pay Eminem (a white rapper who has rapped about raping his own mother) to be their spokesman, I’ll be happy to write Cristal a letter boycotting it too. I’m not a big Oprah Winfrey fan, but I applaud her courage in standing up against many in the rap community lately. For whatever reason, many in the black community see a slight against the rap community as a slight against the black community. I applaud Oprah for voicing the fact that she’d rather not be represented by (most of) the rap community. Good work. Quit rapping about, dressing like, and acting like thugs, and we’ll quit accusing you of being one.

I’m saddened by the news in Israel/Palestine/Libya right now. What a sad and frustrating situation.

I’m moving house in four weeks and haven’t packed a single box. In fact, I don’t even have any packing supplies. That’s not good.

Two texans go out into the woods to hunt when one of them has a heart attack and falls dead to the ground. The other one pulls out his mobile phone and calls 911 (it’s an emergency response number we call in the states that actually works). Upon hearing help on the other end of the line, the texan says, “My friend has just fallen to the ground dead!” The dispatcher encourages the guy to calm down and asks him to check and make sure that his friend is dead. The dispatcher hears a slight pause and then a very loud bang! “Ok”, the texan says, “now what?”

Hope you all are well. And I hope my brain starts working again real soon. Keep us in your prayers.

Comments on "observations"

 

Blogger Mhairi said ... (3:11 AM) : 

FYI On the movie front, wait for the DVD for Click and Pirates; they aren't worth your hard earned cash!

 

Blogger Tarisa said ... (8:28 AM) : 

I'm with you on Rocky. I saw all but the original in the theater and I'll be there for the new one.

As far as the rappers go...it cracks me up when they cry racism when someone mentions the rap community. They say that anyone who hates rap hates black people. Considering the fact that there are white rappers, isn't that a racist comment? Just curious.

 

Blogger Tim said ... (11:07 AM) : 

For the record, I like rap music. I just don't like what most of it stands for. Props to guys like Nas, Andre 3000, and even Kanye West for being original and rapping about something other than the glorification of pure evil.

 

Blogger Larry said ... (7:06 PM) : 

My mind has been overwhelmed as well. Blogging only once in two weeks is just unacceptable. I saw Superman...ouch. It was better than X-3 Halle Berry and Hugh Jackman should never be allowed in another movie. Rocky 6 now there is high quality cinema.."Yo Adrien, I'm wearing depends."

As to rap. I am with you. I like Common. I am sort of liking the return of Funk. Gnarls Barkley is catching my attention.

Have fun at camp. I am having camp withdrawl.

 

Blogger My2BoysNMe said ... (8:41 PM) : 

Not that I ever cared for it, but my perspective on rap music changed as soon as my son became a teenager. I don't even need a doorbell anymore. Just a minute ago, I HEARD AND FELT one of his friends pull up in the driveway. "Jooooe...someone's here for you!" Thing that struck me is, he came to the door with his new girlfriend. How in the world would they ever be able to talk to each other in a car that I can hear 1/2 a mile away??

 

Blogger Cari said ... (2:08 PM) : 

Hate rap. Knew better than to go see Superman. DUH. Have fun at camp-or is that over? Got to go to Falls Creek and play camp nurse. That rocked. Get this. Last week the preacher was *gasp* NOT Baptist!!!!!!!! Called deacons the "Baptist Maffia". What is the world coming to?? The guy was one of the best speakers I've heard. Alex Himaya-he's Egyptian, I think he said, though that's awfully broad... Restraints on children are not acceptable. Benadryl is.

 

Blogger Sean said ... (12:52 AM) : 

rocky= good. Hopefully it will return to the greatness of 1, 2 and four.

superman= dude! I thought it was the perfect representation of the man of steel not-reinvented. Would be cool to see it changed around like batman, but I was just as pleased to see it the old way, but way better. just my opinion.

 

post a comment