Monday, December 05, 2005

donate towards our tree...

So, after posting my thousand word essay on the need for Christians to be culturally sensitive if we’re ever going to reach a non-believing world with the gospel, one of my Muslim girls, upon finding out that she wouldn’t get to see me next week before the holiday break, wished me a Merry Christmas as she was leaving club today. Haha! Oh well.

I don’t know what it’s like where you live, but around here it’s like people are getting nastier the closer we get to Christmas, especially on the busses. I keep witnessing argument after argument between perfect strangers. It’s getting ugly and it’s getting me down. And then, to top it off, I find myself spitting venom on the internet at Christians who I feel are ruining my opportunities to tell the world about the love of Christ. So with that in mind, I’m going to attempt to digress here (Unless I see another petition. In which case I’m going to start spitting again.).

The tree pictured in this photograph will be one of the things I’ll truly miss about London one day. This is our third holiday season (Christmas for us, Hanukah and Kwanza for others) in this community and every year somebody goes out and decorates the middle of this tree. Not the top half. And not the bottom half. Just the middle half. What’s up with that? Who is making this decision? I realize that we live in a poor community and all, but seriously, this is all we can afford? Enough lights to decorate the middle half of one tree? Oh well, it always makes me laugh.

I’ve added a few new links to my Favorite Blogs column. And there are a few others I’ve not added to the column but are definitely worth the read.

Vietnamese God isn’t a Christian blog, nor does it seem to be religious in nature, but it is a great blog about life in Vietnam with amazing photos. Definitely worth checking out.

The Boy Who Heard Music is actually Pete Townsend’s blog. I was surprised when I accidentally stumbled onto it. Not only does Pete Townsend blog, but he actually uses blogspot, a free service. That seems kind of funny to me.

How to Do Stuff may be the most creative blog I’ve ever seen. This guy writes about everything from carving turkeys to making a flame thrower out of a candle and a squirt gun (why do I see Drew quickly hitting the link after that last line?).

Finally there's Moby's blog who, like it or not, often has some pretty important things to say about the church. Here's a guy who considers himself to be a follower of Christ (and really knows his Bible) but, like Bono, would really rather not be associated with the actions of the church.

I also subscribe to a million blogs on bloglines but can’t, for the life of me, figure out how to add a link to that here. See!

Comments on "donate towards our tree..."

 

Blogger Gordon said ... (4:20 PM) : 

Check OUt "Get a Subscribe To Bloglines Button" in extras once you are in bloglines - it gives you a choice of buttons and then generates teh html for you to cut and paste.

If that is what you are after? My fee is in the post

Long live capitalism ;o)

 

post a comment