Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Adam's hymn


In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

So I’ve been reading the creation story and some of the theories and long held beliefs surrounding it. One is that the creation hymn (the first chapter of Genesis) may have actually been a hymn, taught by God to Adam, and handed down through several generations until it finally got to Moses who wrote it down. Can you imagine that? The idea that we might have a hymn that literally came from Adam himself. Adam! Wow.

I’m a history and archaeology geek. As far as history goes, I’m specifically interested in the history of Rock ‘n’ Roll and how it has both captured western history since the 50’s, and influenced western history and culture since the 50’s. As far as archaeology goes, I can’t really see how there’s any that isn’t Biblically related in one way or another. And all of it fascinates me. The minute a story is published about another group who thinks they may have discovered Noah’s ark up on Mt. Ararat, I’m on it. And the British Museum happens to be packed out with unlisted Biblical archaeology…that the British lovingly stole from all parts of the world. God bless the “finders keepers” rule!

So with all of that in mind, I have to confess, I find the Da Vinci Code story fascinating. Don’t get me wrong, there are a lot of holes in the story and, ultimately, it has very little credibility, if any at all. But still, I’m a big enough geek about it all that I find myself wishing Jesus had left a blood line that was living among us today. And I also wouldn’t have a problem with that, btw. I mean, I understand why the Catholics hate the idea (because they’re even more prude than we Protestants are), but I can’t figure out why that would threaten our faith?

Anyway, I’m getting a bit side tracked here.

I wonder if there are any others out there who are blown away by the thought of Adam’s hymn? I wonder if there are any others out there who can stand in a place like Stonehenge and almost hear the voices (not to wax too Dead Poets here) of the people who once travelled there, seeking God? Or even somebody who can stand in an old abandoned house and consider the lives that it represents?

We are surrounded by the history of mankind. It has left its mark all around us. Your home may sit on a site once inhabited by ancient people. And, depending on your beliefs about the creation week, the story of mankind, and our fellowship with God, may date back millions of years. I’m not threatened by that. In fact, the idea that God has been moulding and shaping his creation for billions of years only puts me at greater awe of God. It means that I’m an even smaller speck than I first thought. Imagine the people who once roamed the land where you now live. Unbelievable. And, during all that time, whether it be thousands of years or millions of years, God has been communing with us.

The hymn that God taught to Adam. Unbelievable.

Comments on "Adam's hymn"

 

Blogger peter said ... (11:37 PM) : 

There is something powerful in singing and reading things of old. I love history and everthing about it. And to know that we are part of something that started thousands of years ago... priceless.

Peter
www.lublink.ca

 

Blogger Tami said ... (4:21 AM) : 

Such a small spec am I. Amazed that words written long ago and having nothing to do with computers, Cell, phones, and Ipods, are up to date with my heart's deepest needs.

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (10:30 AM) : 

why dont i read your blog more often? im catching up now... i cannot begin to say how close i was to studying history, or archaeology... i get goosebumps just thinking about the adam hymn thing from God. Wow! is all i can say. ive always wanted to be eve in the garden, just walking around with God... one day hopefully...

 

post a comment