Sunday, March 23, 2008

highlights and lowlights

Well, it’s been over a month since my last post. A lot has happened over that time. The following are some highlights and lowlights:

I was thinking the other day…actually, I do think every day, but on this particular day I was thinking the following; If you were having a reunion of all your high school friends (whether friends from high school, or church), and you could bring in any band you wanted (money and location were no object), who would it be? After giving it some thought, I actually decided that it was a really great question. Genius in fact. And so I open it up to the general public. Would love to hear your responses and also the reasoning behind them. As for me, I’m actually going to go with Genesis. Genesis is nowhere near my favourite band but, when it comes to the 80’s, they rank right up there with some of the most hits of any band. They’re also listener friendly meaning that I don’t really know anybody who wasn’t into them, at least somewhat in the 80’s. I think they’d be a good generic band that would cross all the different personalities represented among my friends.

I read last week that the ultimate sign of fitness is in how many push ups you can do. Apparently there is no other form of exercise that tests out so many different areas of your body. A man my age should be able to do at least 29 push ups properly. I can’t. I’m working on it.

A Canadian colleague of mine became so enraged over my “Oh Canada” post that I was actually reported to the higher ups! I’m not kidding. It actually took several phone calls to convince my own supervisor that it was all tongue in cheek and written specifically to take a jab at my plethora of Canadian friends. Sheesh. I love the internet, but I keep forgetting that sarcasm doesn’t translate very easily in the written word.

For decades it’s been cool…no, downright SHEIK to be a fan of the lovable loser, i.e. the Cubs or Redsox. My question is this; when does it become cool to be a fan of the Pittsburgh Pirates? They’ve completely sucked for nearly fifteen years with absolutely no hope of getting better on the horizon. Am I cool or what?

I’ve never wanted to see the U.S. boycott an Olympics more than I do right now. Throw the UK in there too. The truth is that China should have never been granted the Olympics. I don’t know what the Olympic committee was thinking. And, for those not paying attention, it isn’t just about Tibet. China is notorious for human rights violations. Tibet just happens to be the one group of people, whose rights China violates, that they can’t keep quiet. Honestly, we’ve invaded countries for much less than China is getting away with. Have some courage politicians. Step up, do the right thing, and send a message, not only to China, but to the committee who thought it was ok to send the Olympics to China.

Today, while visiting one of our churches in London, a car alarm went off outside. It went off forever. It was as if the world was announcing the fact that they were, in fact, outside, and challenging us to get out of our bubble and to come out where they were. We tried to pray through it, but were absolutely distracted. As always, those doses of reality always make a church service seem a little more real to me.

The countdown has begun to what my household is referring to as the Epic Fritssanic Adventure. “Fritssanic stands for France, Italy, Swittzerland, and Germany. In two weeks we leave for a European road trip which will have us taking a train from London to Dover, a ferry from Dover to Calais, and then a car from Calais to Florence. On the way there we’ll drive across France, making a two day stop in Geneva, and then finally arriving in Florence, Italy where we’ll spend a week taking in sights like Venice, Pompeii and, of course, Florence. On the way back we’ll take a Northern route which will take us through Switzerland and Germany. I don’t know what I’m most excited about, the time off, eating Italian food for a week, seeing Switzerland and Germany, or simply the opportunity to drive. I desperately miss driving.

I guess that’s about it for now. I’ve actually been writing these random thoughts out over the course of this weekend. I just sat down to finish this up and ran across another story of Tibet and the Chinese crackdown. What a bunch of evil bullies.

Comments on "highlights and lowlights"

 

Blogger Tarisa said ... (5:26 PM) : 

I like Genesis but I'm also a big fan of Huey Lewis and the News.

Have fun on your trip. My parents and I did a road trip in Europe very similar to that. 6 countries in 3 or 4 days (I can't remember which). I loved living overseas.

And good timing on your blog. I watched "Seven Years in Tibet"...again...last night. I still don't get why China needs Tibet anyway. Power is not always a good thing.

And finally, as someone whose family is from Canada (my granddad was born there), I thought your blog on Canadians was funny. I would love to get a bunch of Canadians and Hawaiians in a room together and let them duke it out. Poor, neglected souls.

 

Blogger Trent said ... (12:52 AM) : 

Blah, spew, yuck! I have never liked Genesis or Phil Collins for that matter. I realize that makes a bit of an odd ball but I doubt that is any news to you. I would choose Rush. The sad truth is that the 80s was the musical black hole decade.

Seriously, Tim, I can do many more than 29 pushups but I sure don't feel fit.

I am still considering an annexation of Canada petition=sarcasm not necissarily translating well in a written environment.

I think the Cubs sucked for 50 years or so before they became "loser" cool.

I think it will be very difficult to send a serious message to China when we are addicted to 39 dollar dvd players.

Easy, Italian food. I love pesto with home grown basil. I really do.

Have a great time.

 

Blogger Trent said ... (12:56 AM) : 

Oh,

Yes, I do know that Rush is Canadian.

 

Blogger jsi said ... (2:20 AM) : 

Happy Easter to you and the household of faith you nurture. You're right - sarcasm has its severe limitations, mostly being that when written, the receivers do not get to hear the sly in your voice or the glint of fun in your eyes. Saracasm on paper dilutes itself to irony; in its most effective and efficient communication, you gotta see it, you gotta hear it. (But to your credit, it was exceptionally funny, and you did receive your just desserts in timely fashion, thank you very much! And no maple leaves were harmed in the repair of your computer.)

I'm voting in on U2 - never a clunker from them.

The preparations for the Olympics games are simply highlighting even more human rights otracities - it is almost unbelievable.

Have a fabulous trip - it sounds incredible. There is the allure of control and sanctuary within your own vehicle travelling the way you command to the destination you determine, willing and capable of stopping if desired. I won't brag at all, but right now I drive more than I want to.

 

Blogger jsi said ... (2:22 AM) : 

No one achieves coolness by rooting for the Pittsburgh Pirates!

 

Blogger Tim said ... (12:51 PM) : 

Trent, you're showing your age man. Rush? I'd have to reach back a little further than high school to reference Rush. : )

On the other hand Jesse, I wouldn't consider U2 a band from my high school days. More like college. Are you really that much younger than me? If we're talking college, it would definitely be U2 (assuming that I couldn't bring back Kirk Cobain from the dead). Having said that, I do know that U2 had a couple of really good records in the 80's, but I didn't become aware of them until their Joshua Tree album had actually been out a year or so. So maybe I should have gone with U2 as well. Crap!

Back to Trent. For the record, I'm not a big fan of Genesis either (though I did like Phil Collins)but they were a big band from my high school days, were well received by pretty much everybody I knew back then, and I'm assuming that Phil would include his own singles in the concert (which is the part I would enjoy).

Tarisa, sorry, but I don't think I could sit through one more rendition of "Hip To Be Square" so, as you ARE one of my high school friends, I'm afraid you'll have to sit through Genesis as long as I'm planning the party (though it may now be U2!)

 

Blogger Sean said ... (3:18 PM) : 

the sad fact is that my high school years did not produce a plethora of awesome bands that cross over to many different kinds of people. We're talking Wallflowers, Matchbox 20, the boy bands, Spice Girls, Bush, all sitting nicely with their one or two song glory. That being said, there would be three strong choices Counting Crows, Alanis, and the Dave Matthews Band if I was planning, I would surely pick the Dave Matthews Band, although, I feel the more objective approach would be Counting Crows... although Bone Thugz-n-Harmony may have to open for them.

 

Blogger Tarisa said ... (6:14 PM) : 

Since I'm all for most music from the 80's I'm okay with that.

 

Blogger Dave said ... (10:12 PM) : 

I'm guessing your rationale for this 80's band thing was that everyone in the room would have to like the songs they were playing - or at least be able to tolerate them. Not a bad choice, if that's what you're going for. I'd be pretty bummed if I showed up expecting U2, though.

By the way, the 90's band equivalent would have to be Hootie & the Blowfish.

 

post a comment