Sunday, July 31, 2005

every breath you take...


This week our “Safer Neighbourhood PC” asked to meet with me. Evidently my details were passed on to her through the police department, probably after this last incident across the street. During the course of our conversation, in between my telling her all of the things I’d like to see her do, she asked me if I would be willing to start a Neighbourhood Watch programme here in my community. Sigh. Don’t you hate it when you’re asked to put your money where your mouth is? Evidently they’ve been trying to get one started since April but no one has been willing to take it on. I tried to explain to her that I am a very busy man with responsibilities all over the city, here in my local community, and that I am about to be a new father, but the look in her eyes told me that she was buying it. So I said yes.

I’m not excited about taking on this new responsibility but wouldn’t it be interesting if, through leading this Neighbourhood Watch programme, I learned how to truly impact a community? My hope is that I’ll one day point to this as a turning point in my life and ministry.

This picture was taken during a rain storm in the middle of the night this past week. It’s also been doctored. You’ll see that my wife and I are now watching over the bus stop rather than the typical movie posters and soap advertisements. A little freaky, I know, but I kind of like it.

Click on any of my photos for a larger view.

Comments on "every breath you take..."

 

Blogger KiR said ... (5:32 AM) : 

...honestly, you are such an artist. You've got such a great eye. That's what I am trying to develop, but it's taken me 6 years and I still have soooo much to learn.
And the money where your mouth is - totally feeling you there. This fall I am going to the Army's War College to live with the poor for a year. Walking the walk can be tough.

 

Blogger blogblogblog said ... (12:45 PM) : 

I just want to know if you get a sash or an orange vest with reflector panels for the neighborhood watch. Please post a picture of you in your uniform as soon it arrives from Neighborhood Watch headquarters.

 

post a comment