Tuesday, March 28, 2006

the "church" of scientology

The March issue of Rolling Stone Magazine has an amazing and, I believe, important piece on the church of scientology. If this article is accurate, the church of scientology is indeed a cult.

I would encourage anybody to purchase a copy and read it for themselves. Something tells me that, after the COS’ response to the South Park episode, they’re really not going to like this article.

Comments on "the "church" of scientology"

 

Blogger Larry said ... (4:03 PM) : 

If you read any of L. Ron Hubbard's stuff, he does espouse some stuff that just is not biblical. It is not shocking that you would come to the conclusion you have.

 

Blogger bedemike said ... (4:58 PM) : 

I read the RS article and was floored. I agree with your assessment. This is no quaint, self-help method.

And we thought Tom Cruise went off on Matt Lauer. Wait until he reads this...

 

Blogger Tarisa said ... (11:33 PM) : 

What? The Church of Scientology is not really a church, but a cult? You mean to tell me that you don't pay thousands of dollars to feel better about yourself? Your church doesn't tell you what you can watch (or do for that matter?). Your church doesn't believe that aliens are the reason we're here? I read the book...I mean article and if even half of what was written is true, I'd have to agree with you whole heartedly. I thought the Shafer (sp?) Shack in OKC was an abomination, but this article makes his "parsonage" pale in comparison. For those of you who don't know what the Shafer Shack is, it's a "humble" home owned by the pastor of one of the churches here in OKC. Complete with wrought iron fences and a ginormous gate with a huganic "S" on it. You know, one of those welcoming abodes in which most pastors live. But, I digress.

I don't understand how anyone can see this as anything else but a cult. It's scary. BTW, Tim, there is a link to the article if you'd like it. I didn't want to put it on here without permission.

 

Blogger Nicole_Marietta said ... (3:29 PM) : 

This is the very thing we need to be looking out for and instructing our people about! If Oprah loves Tom and John than lets all jump on the bandwagon. We get our theology from Oprah and the biggest mouths of Hollywood. Sheep led to the cliff, and they're ready to jump. Is this American mentality or global? I'm just wondering.

 

post a comment