Tuesday, April 18, 2006

on music

A couple of things need to be said concerning music. First a question:

Who can tell me what band, or what song, was ripped off by the artist playing over on the right. The artist on the right is a band called Rock ‘N’ Roll Worship Circus and they’re playing a song called The Undiscovered. But the beginning is a very specific rip off of a very specific song. Props if you get it.

Second. I recently discovered an album called Urban Hymns by a 90’s band called The Verve. This band was massive over here (UK) in the 90’s, especially for a song called Bittersweet Symphony. Does anybody remember these guys? Bittersweet Symphony sounds familiar, but it may be because they play it over here all of the time. But I had definitely never heard the entire album before. GREAT album!

Third. The best rap album I’ve heard in a long, long time just came out within the past few weeks. Unfortunately, the album title is a drug reference and the mc’s name is so cheesy that I just can’t bare to type it. Seriously, how can rappers keep a straight face when telling the promoter, “uh yes, my name is Stone Cold Rapist and I’d like to do a show at your club.” Meanwhile, they still live with their mom or, even worse, are a millionaire living in the Hollywood hills but are still trying to project this “gangsta from the streets” image. Cheesy.

Finally. While the whole last.fm thing is kind of cool, it doesn’t really give a solid account of what I listen to throughout the week, only because I listen to a lot more music on my mp3 player than I do my computer. Still, my updated chart for last week is at the bottom of my right hand column. Enjoy!

Comments on "on music"

 

Blogger Tarisa said ... (2:42 PM) : 

I can't answer your question about "The Undiscovered" but I can tell you why "Bittersweet Symphony" is so popular again. It was the main song in the Bill Murray/Scarlet Johansen movie "Lost in Translation." So there. By the way, if you haven't seen the movie and are tempted to do so, I'd get several opinions from your favorite movie buffs first. I love going to the movies (well, renting movies, on my budget) and I didn't much care for it. Just a thought

 

Blogger Tarisa said ... (3:34 PM) : 

I just couldn't get around the idea of Bill and Scarlet (they ask that I call them by their first names :-D) romantically involved. I will admit that I liked the jacket scene at the end. But, this is why I mentioned talking to several people before seeing it. I may be the only person on the planet who didn't like it. I'm sure if Bill had said something like, "He slimed me," I would have liked it a lot more. Okay, maybe not.

 

Blogger Phil said ... (4:47 PM) : 

You're such a punk, man. The reason I had myself as one of the most listened to artists recently was because I'm getting ready for Roots and trying to decide which songs to do.

Still, you're right about Last.fm not giving a good account. I listen to my iPod all the time as well, and I hardly keep any music on my actual laptop at work. So it's only when I have them both connected that it actually updates my info. too long of a comment for to trivial a matter, I know.

 

Blogger anniebuck2 said ... (10:15 PM) : 

I actually remember "Bittersweet Symphony" and it's on my itunes library. As for, "The Undiscovered", the beginning of the song sounds vaguely familiar to me but I don't want to leave a wrong guess on your blog.

I haven't gotten the book yet. But I'm looking forward to what was reccommended for me to read.

 

Blogger lucy ar said ... (12:43 AM) : 

It sounds like Superstition

 

Blogger Tim said ... (10:51 AM) : 

Hhmmmm...that's interesting because you're the second person to guess Superstition, by Stevie Wonder. And while I does sound a little like Superstition, that isn't the song or the artist that I had in mind. But thanks for guessing!

 

post a comment