Thursday, June 15, 2006

my most embarrassing moment

So how many of us has this happened to. You’re at a party, or Sunday school, and somebody decides that we should go around the group and share our most embarrassing moment. I’ve been in this situation numerous times and, every single time, have never been able to think of anything embarrassing. Don’t get me wrong, God makes a regular habit of humbling me on a monthly basis. And I’ve come to accept that. But I can never remember the specifics of those events when the time comes to share. And so, having been reminded yesterday of my absolute most embarrassing moment, I now share with the group. Hopefully somebody can remind me of this the next time I’m asked.

I was in my late teens/early twenties and had stopped for gas. Incidentally, for you OKC dwellers, this happened at the gas station located on 44th, just behind Grace Christian Academy. It has a really stupid name, but I can’t seem to remember it right now. Anyway, I had stopped for gas and, while my car filled up, I ran inside to pay. I think I must have been in a hurry because, upon paying, I ran out, got into my car, and drove away…with the hose still attached to my car. Ripped that sucker right out of the pump. The attendant immediately came running out, shut the pump off, and then just looked at me with one of those looks that can only mean one thing…dumb a**.

What do you say? I’m sorry? It wasn’t me? I really am a dumb a**? Outside of, “I’ll pay for the damages.”, there’s nothing you really can say to save face and, being extremely short on funds during that time of my life (unlike now where I get rich working for the Salvation Army), paying for the damages just wasn’t something I could offer. So I apologized, got into my car, and drove away thoroughly embarrassed.

To this day, that is still my most embarrassing moment.

Comments on "my most embarrassing moment"

 

Blogger Andi-bo-bandi said ... (3:53 PM) : 

Oh no my friend, I think I have you beat. When I was in college I went down to Charlotte, NC to visit my grandparents. They dropped me at the airport to go back to Boston. It was nice and warm in NC and I wanted to show off my tan so I was wearing a cute little outfit with a skirt. When I got out of the car I swung my backpack over my shoulder and proceeded through the airport all the way to my gate. Only when I got to the gate did a kind older woman tell me that my cute skirt was caught on my backpack...yeah, I walked through the whole airport with my tush hanging out. Do I win?

 

Blogger Tim said ... (7:38 PM) : 

Well we'll wait to see if anybody can beat it, but you've definately put me away! Wow.

 

Blogger Larry said ... (8:03 PM) : 

I hear Jamie's most embarrassing moment was marrying you!

Mine was once as a camp director when a kid ran up to hug me as part of a skit. He tripped. I was wearing basketball shorts. Instead of hugging me around my waist, he grabbed me on his way down. Needless to say, he grabbed my shorts to stay up. Those promptly fell down around my ankles. I stood there in front of 300 people in my boxers

 

Blogger Dave C said ... (12:54 AM) : 

Man, embarrising underwear stories are always funny! (especially when you know the people, Larry)

Tim, the gas station story is funny too, because just this past weekend while traveling to Commissioning (the awe-inspiring weekend that it was) I tripped on the pump hose. I was finished pumping and putting it back in but when I tripped I pull the trigger and sprayed some all over the place.

Wasn't me...you didn't see a thing...you can't prove anything!

 

Blogger Laura said ... (3:20 PM) : 

I thought your most embarrassing moment was when you locked your keys in the car. Where were you going again? Punxsy? Warren? It was one of those far out places in WEPASA. I believe there was a house, lock, and $20.00 involved.

 

Blogger Laura said ... (3:24 PM) : 

Oh yeah! And, a blockbuster card.

 

Blogger Tim said ... (3:40 PM) : 

Actually, I usually refer to that as my proudest moment! : )

 

Blogger Cari said ... (9:21 PM) : 

Oh, Tim. How do I love thee? Lemme know if you need me to supply some of your embarrassing moments. The name of the store you stopped at is embarrassing enough...how 'bout Root N Scoot? And I guess you did, now didn't you? I remember because everyone started calling me NewtonScoot.

Ok, here's one, but I kinda got out of it, so it turned into more of a moral dilemma...

I was working in the ER, where we're lucky to shove cold mexican food in our faces in 2 minutes at lunch. One day, in an exam with a doctor and a little old lady, the beans had come back for revenge. The room was small, and squeeze as I might (sorry) I couldn't stop the natural course of things. I was mentally noting to keep bean-o in my locker when the sonic boom happened. There was no hiding-it was just out there. Then the little old lady looked up at the doctor and said, "Oh, my! Excuse me!" THANK YOU LITTLE BLUE HAIRED LADY!!!!

Yeah, well, I never would have lived that one down. I'm only able to speak of it years later...

 

Blogger Bret said ... (5:00 AM) : 

Sorry, no embarrassing moments to tell at this time.

But that modern day parable you’ve got is awesome! My question is this: what does the parable illustrate? That wearing a uniform is weird?

This lady is clearly from another planet . . . or maybe another time . . . or maybe both . . . whichever it is people don’t understand her do they? Mmm . . .

Blessings,

Bret

 

post a comment