Monday, August 04, 2008

ever faithful

So it has been a while and much has taken place since the last time I wrote.

Among other things, I just spent two weeks leading worship in France. It was a solid two weeks where we got to sit under some fabulous teaching and where I also got to introduce three original songs that went over very well. I’m currently in the process of trying to lay down some very rough tracks. Some interest has been expressed so we’ll see where that goes.

In other news, and after two years of waiting and searching, our divisional leadership has decided that, in one year’s time, I should leave my local ministry and take on the divisional leadership role full time. At the moment we are praying through the situation and asking God to provide us with direction and would truly appreciate your prayers as well. It would obviously mean a huge change for us, both in calling and in heart.

In even more news, I’m currently working on an essay entitled “The Disneyfication of the Church”. My head is about to explode.

In some ways, very uncertain times lay ahead of us. We have no idea where we’ll be this time next year. In other ways God has been reminding me of my history with Him. Throughout the life of the Israelites, there seemed to be this never ending pattern. God provides/raises them up, they are really thankful for a while but eventually begin to grumble and wonder where God is. Though God always sends somebody to remind them of their history (the prophets), He also allows them to succumb to their own lack of faith. And then the cycle begins again. I have a similar history where God provides and specifically directs me but where I also, when the times feel uncertain, find myself asking where God is in all of this. It’s a weak area of my life and the enemy knows it. With that in mind I’ve just started reading the Old Testament, starting with Genesis (in case that wasn’t obvious), with the goal of reminding myself of the history of God and his people and the specific history of God and myself.

God has always been faithful to provide and direct in His own perfect timing. I have not always been so faithful at trusting him and learning the lessons that He’s asked me to learn. I hope to break that cycle this time around.

Incidentally, below are the lyrics to the most popular song of the past two weeks. I actually wrote it several months ago. Little did I know how perfect the message would be for me several months later. Hopefully I’ll be able to post the tune soon. I've still not decided on a title. For the past few weeks it has been known as I Know but I've never really liked that. Suggestions are always welcome!

(verse 1)
I know a Spirit that lives in my soul
I know a God who’s wherever I go
I know a Saviour whose blood covers me

I know a fount that makes dirt white as snow
I know forgiveness like I’ve never known
I know redemption that changes my heart and my soul

(bridge 1)
And I know a faithfulness that never ends
A God so devoted he loved me while still in my sin

(verse 2)
I know a promise to never let go
No matter the storms or the trials or how hard the wind blows
I’m deep in His hold

And I’ll hold to these things no matter what may
I’ll hold to these things for all of my days
Hold to the promise that one day my soul He will raise

(bridge 2)
And I’ll love the One who first came to me
And offered His life so that I might go free!

(chorus)
All of my days
I’ll sing your praise
My hands I will raise
For I am amazed
The extent of your grace
Causes me to embrace
And sing out your praise
All of my days

(verse 3)
I know a healer whose breath gives me life
Who binds up my wounds and gives sight to the blind
Whose death changes hearts and whose life changes minds

And I serve a God with a purpose for me
A plan that I might prosper and I might be free
So I stand and believe

(bridge 3)
Believe in the One who breathed life into me
Life not just here on this earth but eternally



God bless and thanks for the prayers!

Comments on "ever faithful"

 

Blogger Tarisa said ... (3:28 PM) : 

Looks like "All of My Days" seems the next obvious choice. I like it...the song, I mean.

 

Blogger Trent said ... (11:29 PM) : 

Sometimes we get to choose where our hope lies; in Him or in our circumstances.

I thought about adding another sentence but it would have been stupid.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (11:52 PM) : 

Glad to see you back on the sphere, and intrigued about what this next stage is going to be like for you guys. Sara Groves sings 'I can't remember a trial or a pain, he did not recycle to bring me gain...all I have needed, his hand will provide, he's always been faithful to me...' love the eco-friendly-ness of our God in redeeming situations.

As for your song, I'd love to hear it, so looking forward to you getting a track laid down...only thing I wondered about was the use of the 'raise my hands' line...seems a bit cliche, but maybe it works well with the music.

 

Blogger Phil said ... (5:17 PM) : 

Randomly checked your blog today and was pleasantly surprised to see it updated. Would love to hear the song as well. Praying for you guys.

 

Blogger Cari said ... (7:56 PM) : 

If it weren't for facebook I'd have thought you died! Glad to read your thoughts again. Prayers for the decisions you have to make. Josh 1:9. Not much help for direction, but a little encouragement on your way.

Can't wait to hear your music. Good song.

Anyhooo, good to hear from you! Keep writing!

 

Blogger My2BoysNMe said ... (1:20 AM) : 

Absolutely beautiful picture!

 

Blogger Neil the pastor said ... (9:17 PM) : 

Looking forward to hearing it

 

post a comment