Thursday, February 09, 2006

my own exegesis

As it appears that my friend Shaun (Spencer) will now be leaving regular comments on my blog, I provide the following for my readers…

Exegesis - Critical explanation or analysis, especially of a text.
Misogynous - Of or characterized by a hatred of women.
Untenable - Being such that defense or maintenance is impossible
Depersonalizing - To deprive of individual character or a sense of personal identity
Ecclesiastical - Of or relating to a church, especially as an organized institution
Normative - Of, relating to, or prescribing a norm or standard
Davidic - Of or pertaining to David, the king and psalmist of Israel, or to his family.

Forgive him. He’s in seminary right now and I bought him “word for the day” toilet paper last year for Christmas. However, me thinks I hear the influence of a certain denominational seminary in those comments to which I refer to the film Good Will Hunting for my response.

“Yeah, I read that too. Were you going to plagiarize the whole thing for us? Do you have any thoughts of your own on this matter? Or do you, is that your thing, you come into a bar, you read some obscure passage, and then pretend, you pawn it off as your own, as your own idea just to impress some girl and embarrass my friend? You see, the sad thing about a guy like you is that in 50 years, you're gonna start doing some thinking on your own and you're gonna come up with the fact that there are two certainties in life. One: don't do that. And two: you dropped a 150 grand on a (bleeping) education you could have gotten for a dollar fifty in late charges at the public library.”

For those of you who don’t know my friend Shaun, or our relationship, please rest assured that we spent an entire summer playing a game called “skeem and hoot” in which the object was not to win a hand of cards, but to come up with the best line as to HOW you won that hand of cards! : ) I love you man!

Comments on "my own exegesis"

 

Blogger Gordon said ... (5:53 PM) : 

heh Tim - I just read velvet Elvis - great book! I noticed that you have the second in the trilogy listed in your favourite books - Velvet Jesus! ;o)

 

Blogger BrownEyedGirl said ... (6:54 PM) : 

LOL! thanks for the good laugh..glad your relationship can handle it!

 

Blogger BrownEyedGirl said ... (12:45 PM) : 

Thanks for the great quote from the wise woman! :) I would imagine the card game got pretty intense with the two of you!

 

Blogger Rachel said ... (5:31 AM) : 

Hi Tim, a friend (A.Buckles) mentioned you and this site and that I would probably appreciate your thoughts and your style. She is right :) I just wanted to say hi and that I enjoyed your posts. I will probably respond to some later...

 

post a comment